Household Plumbing Tips!
Bathroom Helpful Hints
- Once a week run hot water down the drain to help keep it free-flowing.
- Repair leaky faucets to avoid further damage to the fixtures and faucets.
- Tubs and showers should be fitted with strainers that catch hair and soap chips. Clean the strainers regularly.
- To remove unsightly mineral deposits on your shower head, put one cup of vinegar in a plastic bag and place it over the shower head. Hold it in place with a twist tie and let stand overnight. In the morning, remove the bag and wipe off the mineral deposits with a damp cloth.
- Do not use your toilet as a wastebasket. Do not flush facial tissue, sanitary products or diapers as they do not dissolve and can clog the lines. Keep a trash container in each bathroom.
Vacation Helpful Hints
- When leaving the house unattended for several days, turn the main service valve off .
- Turn the water heater off if it is electric.
- Turn the pilot down to vacation when leaving for a a period of time.
Kitchen Helpful Hints
- Never put hard-to-grind, stringy or fibrous waste (poultry skins, carrots, celery or banana peels) into the garbage disposer.
- Run hot water down the drain for 15 seconds before and after using the garbage disposer to flush waste through the line.
- Don’t pour liquid grease down the drain. Wipe congealed grease from pots and pans with a paper towel and dispose of in the trash.
Washing Machine Helpful
It is good practice to turn the washing machine water off when the machine is not in use. Valves that are designed for this can be installed or an automatic shut-off service can be installed.